Time for another round of Ten Parts of Speech—but this time, I am doing “next level.” These episodes will be more teaching tips and more application to writing. Yay us!
Today’s episode over articles/noun markers covers the following:
- Teaching them in a simple rhyme
- The Vs thee
- An Vs a (an honor; a unicorn)
- Definite (the) Vs indefinite (a, an)
- The importance of teaching that articles tell you a noun is coming —and how to avoid confusion between a noun (the run) and a verb (had run)
- Teaching elementary students to recognize them in sentences as a sign that a noun is coming
- Teaching middle school students to recognize them in sentences as a sign that a noun is coming with adjectives between the article and noun
- Teaching high school students to recognize them in sentences as a sign that a noun is coming with adjectives, prepositional phrases, and possessives between the article and noun
They might be three little words—but they are important in writing!
Don’t forget to get your free single parts of speech poster to follow along with this series (and to use with your students!).
Or get the entire 80-piece parts of speech poster and reference ring card set at one of my stores!