Next level parts of speech—nouns! (See the “intro” to nouns episode here!)
Today’s episode about nouns covers the following:
- Person, place, thing, idea
- Two kinds
- 1. Common (any)
- 2. Proper (formal—we capitalize the formal names)
- Possessive—to possess means to own
- 1. Pronouns—never ‘ for personal possessives
- 2. Nouns—always use ‘ for possessive nouns
- Showing possession to nouns
- 1. ____belongs to _____
- 2. Write the owner first (don’t even think about possession when you write the owner)
- 3. Say, “The bowl belongs to the dog. Write the word dog. Hmmmm…dog doesn’t end in S, so I need apostrophe-s (dog’s). “ OR
- 4. Say, “The handle belongs to the glass. Write the word glass. Hmmmm…glass DOES end in S, so I need apostrophe-s (glass’)
- Nouns are not second grade skills!
- 1. Talking heads
- 2. Give a talk
- 3. He will talk at noon.
Don’t forget to get your free single parts of speech poster to follow along with this series (and to use with your students!).
Or get the entire 80-piece parts of speech poster and reference ring card set at one of my stores!