Welcome to HIT—How I Teach….In this episdoe (second part of Twice-Told Tale!) It’s time to look at the second part of this Twice Told Tale lesson—The Emperor’s New Clothes. This fool-proof story writing technique takes even non-story writers by the hand to create an amazing finished product that they are super proud of!
In this episode, I teach the second half of How I Teach…the Twice-Told Tale Story Writing Approach for junior high and above—while using a lesson from one of my Twice-Told Tale books (a lesson that you get for free in your Teacher’s Notebook so that you can teach it to your awesome students!).
Here is what you will learn:
- How to teach two approaches to Twice-Told Tale planning—using the model scene by scene VS using the model story more loosely
- The benefits of having “training wheels” for your non-story writers when it comes to story writing
- How to help your students learn to put dialogue within a scene
- The importance of teaching writing skills incrementally—including the previous skills needed for a current project
- How to build confidence in your writers by giving them skills, help, and encouragement
- How to teach Sentence-by-Sentence outlining including emphasizing where dialogue goes in the outline
- How to use Twice-Told Tales with avid story writers as well
- Much more!
While this particular episode uses a lesson based on The Emperor’s New Clothes at about a 6th through 9th grade writing level (depending on Basic or Extension and experience), I have a couple dozen Twice-Told Tale assignments for grades four through twelve!
Some FREE lessons with teaching videos:
MANY Downloadable one month books containing these (some out now; many coming soon at https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Language-Arts-Lady-With-Donna-Reish
Of course, just like every lesson in my one-month downloadable books and my one-semester Meaningful Composition books, this one also has the invaluable sample story (“piggybacked” off of the model, just like your student will do!).
Note: This lesson came from Write for a Month, Twice-Told Tale III, a month-long downloadable book! https://languageartsladystore.com/monthlongbooks/
Find everything you need here!
Weekly broadcast episodes with Teacher’s Notebook downloads (and links to listen or watch!) at the Language Arts Lady blog https://languageartsladyblog.com/howiteach
Master (continually updated) Teacher’s Notebook downloadable booklet https://languageartsladyblog.com/teachersnotebook
Free writing books and videos of me teaching your students for you for a couple of weeks! https://languageartsladyblog.com/5writingfreebies
All of my digital books https://languageartsladystore.com
How I Teach YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC20OP_HNTUm8eBMNgMh06sQ
How I Teach Podcast https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-i-teach/id1552986393