Welcome to HIT—How I Teach….In this episode, I explain my methods for teaching paragraph breaks and give a lot of my “paragraph theory” and “pre-writing theory.” Paragraph breaks is often a difficult concept for students. And teaching paragraph breaks is also difficult.
Thankfully, I have found a solution to the paragraph break problem—and I have used it as I have taught hundreds of students to write using this amazing solution.
Here are some of the highlights of this episode:
- Don’t count words (or letters!) of a writing project: count paragraphs!
- Writing is made up of paragraphs
- Paragraphs are made up of sentences
- Sentences are made up of words
- Words are made up of letters
- Start with paragraphs!
- Paragraphs are units of thoughts. Every time we change thoughts, we change paragraphs.
- Pre-writing—deciding what each paragraph will be about is the “secret of the universe”😉
- Starting out with three of something is the beginning of teaching paragraph breaks: three animals, three pizza toppings, three castle objects you would like to be friends with (HIT #47), three of anything….easily dividable!
- Then move to three ASPECTS of something: three reasons why elephants are endearing animals (HIT #48); three ways fairy tales help kids (HIT #43); three ways to survive in a jungle (HIT #34)
- Use outlining lines to help students with paragraph breaks, links, topic sentences, etc.
- Use a train to teach the Paragraphs of Body (PoB), opening paragraph, and closing paragraph
- Much more! 😉
It’s all here in this week’s HIT—where each week, I bring you tips, tricks, and techniques for teaching writing, language arts, grammar, and more (to grades two through twelve) drawing upon my 100+ curriculum books totaling over 50,000 pages.
Note: This lesson came from The Write Right Quick Kit, an upper level, teacher, parent downloadable book!
Find everything you need here!
Weekly broadcast episodes with Teacher’s Notebook downloads (and links to listen or watch!) at the Language Arts Lady blog: https://languageartsladyblog.com/howiteach
Master (continually updated) Teacher’s Notebook downloadable booklet:https://languageartsladyblog.com/teachersnotebook
Free writing books and videos of me teaching your students for you for a couple of weeks! https://languageartsladyblog.com/5writingfreebies
All of my digital books: https://languageartsladystore.com
How I Teach YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC20OP_HNTUm8eBMNgMh06sQ
How I Teach Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-i-teach/id1552986393