Welcome to HIT—How I Teach…. Each week in this innovative audiocast/videocast, I bring you tips, tricks, and techniques for teaching writing, language arts, grammar, and more (to grades two through twelve) drawing upon my 100+ curriculum books totaling over 50,000 pages.
But wait…there’s more! Not only do I teach parents, teachers, and homeschoolers the hundreds of teaching tools I have developed over the past twenty years, listeners/viewers also get a weekly downloadable booklet, Teacher’s Notebook (TN), that has actual lesson sheets that you can print off and use with your students to teach the very topics that I just taught you!
And for your convenience, How I Teach…. is available as a podcast (follow along in your TN sheets for that week) and a Youtube video (with Power Point containing the same as the TN)!
I cover many important topics in teaching young students how to write from a source (in a sentence-by-sentence format with our darling writing boxes!) and how to put in strong describers:
1) How to help students find the important words in a source sentence to use for outlining (focusing on the people or things and what they are doing)
2) How to help students choose their favorite words from a list that they create
3) The importance of showing students how their sentences come together to form a paragraph
4) How to guide students in changing paragraphs when you change thoughts (a paragraph as a unit of thought)
5) How to help students re-construct a sentence using the student’s strong word choices
6) How to help a student avoid overwhelm by seeing the granular sentence as opposed to an entire paragraph he has to write
7) How to start using describers well by planning which words need describers and how the describers will make a difference in a sentence
8) How to excite kids in putting sentences together to come up with their own strong, descriptive paragraph.
9) And more….all using the darling story of Dumbo and the easy-peasy writing boxes that even reluctant writers like!
Note: This lesson came from Write On, Dumbo II, a month-long downloadable book!
Find everything you need here!
Weekly broadcast episodes with Teacher’s Notebook downloads (and links to listen or watch!) at the Language Arts Lady blog
Master (continually updated) Teacher’s Notebook downloadable booklet
Free writing books and videos of me teaching your students for you for a couple of weeks!