Your Title Goes Here
Welcome to HIT—How I Teach….In this episode, I talk about the littles. The second and third graders who aren’t quite through all of their phonics lessons yet (in many cases). The ones who would love to write if someone would take them by the hand and help them.
And we are the ones. We are the ones who will take them by the hand and give them the tools to write. We are the ones who will whisper in their ears that they can do this. We are the ones to help them learn, from the very beginning, that they can write!
And this HIT episode is all about taking these elementary kids by the hand through characteristic list writing.
In this episode, I cover the following concepts:
- The importance of familiarity in young student’s writing assignment contents
- The incredible value of various types of pre-writing to help elementary kids have their ideas down in some format (Writing Boxes, Venn diagrams, characteristics lists, Q and A outlining, paragraph house, instructional lists, and more) so when they write, they aren’t doing too many skills all at the same time
- How to use given characteristics lists and how to create your own or student-led ones
- How to help even very young writers put two or more paragraphs together for a “long essay”
- How to start using the Checklist Challenge with early elementary students
- Much more!
But wait…there’s more! Not only do I teach parents, teachers, and homeschoolers the hundreds of teaching tools I have developed over the past twenty years, listeners/viewers also get a weekly downloadable booklet, Teacher’s Notebook (TN) that has actual lesson sheets that you can print off and use with your students to teach the very topic that I just taught you!
Find everything you need here!
Weekly broadcast episodes with Teacher’s Notebook downloads (and links to listen or watch!) at the Language Arts Lady blog: https://languageartsladyblog.com/howiteach
Master (continually updated) Teacher’s Notebook downloadable booklet:https://languageartsladyblog.com/teachersnotebook
Free writing books and videos of me teaching your students for you for a couple of weeks! https://languageartsladyblog.com/5writingfreebies
All of my digital books: https://languageartsladystore.com
How I Teach YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC20OP_HNTUm8eBMNgMh06sQ
How I Teach Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-i-teach/id1552986393