Welcome to HIT—How I Teach….In this episode, I explain my methods for teaching phrases, subject verb agreement, prepositions, and more!
Quick Review of Part I of This Two Part Series (#51):
- CAVES—Capital, All makes sense, Verb, End mark, Subject; how to teach students to
recognize a sentence with that acronym (see my CAVES posters and reference ring cards
- How to help students memorize MANY subordinators
- The value of using check sentences and mnemonics and clues!
- Using weekly Think Fast Grammar Quizzes from 3rd grade on to memorize parts of
speech (Beginner and Advanced)
On to this week’s content:
- Differences between phrases and clauses
- Reasons for learning prepositions
- How to teach where a prepositional phrase begins and where it ends
- How to teach students more than one hundred prepositions (Hint: Use one
of these packets from my TPT store— Bugs on a Log, Beauty and Beast
Preposition Packet, or Preposition Packet)
- Writing with prepositional phrases
- Isolating prepositional phrases to locate and match subject/verb
- Punctuating sentences with prepositional phrase openers
- Much more!
It’s all here in this week’s HIT––where each week, I bring you tips, tricks, and techniques for teaching writing, language arts, grammar, and more (to grades two through twelve) drawing upon my 100+ curriculum books totaling over 50,000 pages.
Note: This lesson came from The Write Right Quick Kit, an upper level, teacher, parent downloadable book!
Find everything you need here!
Weekly broadcast episodes with Teacher’s Notebook downloads (and links to listen or watch!) at the Language Arts Lady blog.
Master (continually updated) Teacher’s Notebook downloadable booklet.
Free writing books and videos of me teaching your students for you for a couple of weeks!
All of my digital books
How I Teach YouTube Channel
How I Teach Podcast